Evolution Blog

Class blog for BIO E Evolution and Systematics

Monday, December 04, 2006

Project 0, from Myla

It’s been a month since we had our last study session in Genetics. And now it’s a new semester once again. “Expect the unexpected” that’s what I always inculcate in my mind. For I know that this semester will be a challenging one this is because we do not have our face –to-face session in Bio-E and we need to go online through IVLE. Honestly, I am not yet prepared for this semester this is because of so many activities that we go through in our school. But since semester has already started, I need to convince myself that I have to study more and as much as possible, divide my module into portion and have a quality time reading two (2) modules. As I have said before, I am not a science major so I need to have a lot of time to read and study.

When I heard the word evolution, the first thing that comes into my mind is Charles Darwin. I can still remember hi theory “The Evolution of Species” But before that, let me define first Evolution. Evolution is defined as a gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually a better and complex form. Evolution as stated in the book, It is a process of change and diversification in organisms through time. It refers to any change from one generation to the next in terms of the proportion of different genes.

In my personal point of view, I strongly disagree from the modern theory concerning evolution of man which proposes that humans and apes derived from an apelike ancestor that lived on earth a few million years ago. The theory states that man through a combination of environmental and genetic factors emerged as a species to produce a variety of ethnicities. In some of the book that I have read before, man obviously shared common ancestry with the modern apes such as gorilla and chimpanzee. That was the belief that I have learned from my teacher. It stated that there are many characteristics that are shared between apes and man. Apart from obvious anatomical and behavioral similarities, the two groups also have many proteins and other biochemical characteristics in common. Aside from these, a comparison of the skulls of gorilla and a modern man illustrate the main trends that have taken place in human evolution from an apelike ancestry. I think it was based largely observations.

In theory, evolution is believed to have taken billions and billions of years which was frequently conflicted with the religious beliefs of many. GENESIS chapter I verses 27-28 stated that God Created man in HIS own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Chapter 28, the God blessed them, and God said to them, “be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth” PURE science and pure Religion do not contradict each other. Evolution is a scientific Theory; it is not a pure science. God has created rules and follow them. God is logical, He does not contradict Himself. It’s only pure if it is true. If it is not a fact, it is a theory only. And theories are proven false till proven true. As for the theory of evolution, It is just that a theory. It is basically like, trying to guess what a picture is by only looking at only less than I% of the whole picture. And since religion gives the only other alternative I go with the BELIEF that we ARE Created by God. There is only one God, the creator of heaven and earth, the creator of the whole universe.

I have been teaching science IV for three years and science V for three months but it is totally different from the evolution of man. In grade IV, they have learned how some parent animals reproduced their young. Some animals are hatched from eggs like the turtle, crocodile and bird. They develop outside the womb of their parents. In Science V, the organs of reproduction have already started. Reproduction here is the ability of any living things to produce any other living things of its kind. Like animals, human being is capable of reproduction. The reproductive system enables the human species to continue and grow in numbers. The reproduction of human being is a long process. It involves a male and female. The male reproductive system produces and carries the sperm cells. The female reproductive system is for child bearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home